Thursday, 19 July 2012


I commented on Jane of Jane’s London’s opinion on Mr Renzo Piano’s other London work besides the Shard, Central St Giles. Not everyone likes it. I love it, I believe it fits its context wonderfully lifts the whole area. I love the way the architect has referenced buildings in the surrounding streets (grey tile for a grey church, orange tile for a terracotta block of flats). It was previously a somewhat lack lustre district of London and now we have this bright building shining out on the dullest day to cheer us. In addition, the way the lanes through the building take you from the regular grid street plan of Bloomsbury through to the less regular (I am being polite here) street plan of Covent Garden (always a bleak and pedestrian unfriendly crossing) is masterly. Mo of A glimpse of London tells us that there is a Made in Britain market there on Saturdays and Sundays. I look forward to trying it.
     I am writing much and thus getting used to being comparatively poverty stricken.

7 comments:

  1. Hello, Sally! I haven't been around the blogs lately, and mine is stalled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, tuttut,

    Mwwaah! Mwwaah!

    Likewise - writing like anything but missing the feedback from blogging (I love having comments).

    I hope life is treating you good. And glad to have you back at least virtually in London town. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it better to be a virtual Londoner, w/the Olympics about to start? Or won't it affect you??

      Facebook is good for feedback for normal activity exchange (you're missing all my vegetable love pix!)

      Delete
  3. Oh, one more thing: I have a new client, who publishes in the social sciences and education, and whose authors are definitely not writing from the perspective of the majority.

    I was drowning in nursing/allied health texts. I actually had to look at pix of how to insert a thermometer rectally. And the bottom was most certainly NOT pert and comely . . . Yuck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tut-tut, I feel for you with nursing texts (I've done a couple), although I quite like anatomy and physiology to have to get my pen around. You are much better off with soc sci - well done. I am scaling my involvement down so, should there be any nice editorial things available, you will be first on my list. :D (not that you'll need any help from me).

      Delete
  4. Thanks Sally. Try the smoked salmon from the market. divine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smoked salmon would be one of the munchies I'd go for, thanks for the tip. With the exception of yourself, so many people have denigrated Central St G that I was beginning to feel the odd one out ;P

      Delete